WEEK 1. Comics Club – humorous comics + creating cartoon characters

WEEK 1. Comics Club - humorous graphic novels + tips for creating cartoon characters | Delightful Children's BooksAs I mentioned last week, I am leading an after-school comics club for 4th and 5th grade students. (Last week, I wrote about why it’s valuable to encourage kids to read comics.) While I’m at it, I thought I would quickly share resources here each week. This week in Comics Club, I shared four humorous graphic novel series with my students, and I taught them a few tips for creating cartoon characters.

HUMOROUS GRAPHIC NOVELS

The four humorous graphic novel series I shared with the kids were:

The students each got to select a book from one of these series to take home with them and read during the coming week.

HOW TO CREATE CARTOON CHARACTERS

I also shared a few tips for creating cartoon characters:

1. Choose a “distinguishing characteristic” for your character that will make your character easily identifiable.

2. Practice drawing your character with various expressions.

3. Create a personality or backstory for your character.

I shared these videos with the students that show authors drawing their characters and offering tips on the fly.

How to Draw Greg Heffley (Diary of a Wimpy Kid)

How to Draw Amelia (Amelia Rules)

How to Draw Nate (Big Nate)

How to Draw Raina (Smile and Sisters) and Callie (Drama)

In addition to leading Comics Club, I am adding comics and graphic novels to the school library collection, which has me mulling over this question. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Where is the best place to catalogue and shelve graphic novels in a library collection?

Option A. Dewey’s already answered this question! 741.5 in the nonfiction section.

Option B. Pull graphic novels, and create a stand alone graphic novel section.

Option C. Integrate comics into the collection. Fiction comics should be catalogued by author’s last name and integrated into the fiction section. Nonfiction comics should be catalogued by Dewey decimal number according to their subject matter and integrated into the nonfiction section.

*This question is aimed at children’s librarians, but library users are welcome to chime in as well!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Ages 8+, Ages 9+ and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to WEEK 1. Comics Club – humorous comics + creating cartoon characters

1. Jen P says:

I’m planning to start a comic book club at my school. Your website is extremely helpful and we’ll be using your resources!! Do you have posts for weeks 3+?

2. Nicky says:

Diary of a Wimpy Kids is a suitable book for kids. I often recommend to read this book to my students. It is a good book to improve kid’s reading habit.

3. writersideup says:

Love this! It’s all about basic shapes and their relation to each other on the paper :)

4. Chelsea says:

I would love to see what you did with your students Week 2!

5. Lara says:

Option B! I like how our library does it—with a separate section for teens and adults (Keeping the GRAPHIC novels away from the kids). Though I think the middle grade graphic novels like Smile and Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Dork Diaries are in the chidren’s fiction, by author… I’ll have to check!

6. I like having a separate section for graphic books but am wondering if this is the best place for them? Should graphic books for easy readers be with the easy readers? How about graphic biographies? graphic classic novels? But, many reluctant readers and English learners like graphic books and by keeping them together these students choose to read books about subjects they wouldn’t normally pick.

I agree. Shelving graphic novels together encourages kids to read genres that they would not otherwise read — e.g. nonfiction, mystery etc. On the other hand, I am working with a school librarian who makes the opposite argument. When students have to head to the biography section to find Smile and Sisters, they may discover other biographies they like.

It’s been interesting to see where these books are landing in a library that takes approach C. The main downside to approach C is that students will likely miss reading nonfiction graphic novels like Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales series when they are integrated into the nonfiction section.

7. Zoe says:

As a library user, I’d really appreciate a separate section – either under Dewey, well flagged up, or separate, but not mixed in with general fiction.