My name is Amy. I am a mother, library science graduate student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Chapaign, aspiring children’s librarian, former attorney, Cybils judge and founder/instigator of International Book Giving Day. (International Book Giving Day – February 14th – Give a book to a child!) I have three young children ages eight, five, and three. I spend my time studying, teaching and learning from my children, running, and searching for great picture books.
Before you spend anymore time perusing Delightful Children’s Books, I should warn you. If you were one of the people who found Delightful Children’s Books by using one of these search terms, you will almost certainly be disappointed:
- making treasure maps with kids ages 5 and 6 I wish I could help you. I love treasure maps!
- bubble gum stick to boots theme Hmmmm…
- pictures of 2 multicultural kids arguing What?!! No!
- snowpants hunting This may be more helpful: Cabela’s
- striking the ball picture books I have not heard of this genre.
- moose ears I am sorry. I can see where I led you astray:
Jack (age 3) was so excited to play in the snow that he ran outside wearing only his snow pants and “moose ears.” From 10 Children’s Books About Snow.
However, if you were one of the people who found Delightful Children’s Books by using one of these search terms, you have come to the right place! Welcome!:
- books for toddlers Here you go: Books for Toddlers
- children’s books set in different countries Got them: Read Around the World booklists
- best children’s book about making friends Take a look at this list: 10 Children’s Books About Friendship
- children’s books about tropical rainforests Here are our favorites: 7 Children’s Books About Rainforests
- 2011 caldecott winner I am glad you asked. The 2011 Caldecott winner is so sweet: 2011 Caldecott Medal Winner Announced
- world map shower curtain Got you covered. See #8 on this list: Read Around the World – Educational Resources
As someone smart once said, “Life is too short to read bad books.” I hope that Delightful Children’s Books will help you spend more time reading good books to your children.
The books that I recommend here at Delightful Children’s Books are first and foremost excellent picture books. I seek out fiction books with captivating stories and gorgeous illustrations and non-fiction books that are clear, well illustrated, and engaging.
As a parent, I also seek out books about subjects that I want to teach my children about. I search for books about nature, the arts, and countries around the world. I search for stories that help my kids develop empathy and other social skills.
Lastly, I want to instill in my children a love of books and thus look for books that my children, and hopefully your children, will enjoy. Testing books on my children is a big part of my process of compiling booklists. I first read through a big stack of books and throw out books that are not contenders and that I do not want to spend time reading with my children. I then spend a week or two reading the books I like with my children. I pay attention to which books my children keep asking for and which I enjoy reading to them repeatedly.
At Delightful Children’s Books, you can search for book recommendations by child’s age (0-8+) or by subject. Alternatively, here are…
10 booklists to get you started:
- 6 Snuggly Bedtime Books for Babies
- 7 First Stories for Toddlers
- 7 Awesome Alphabet Books
- 10 Children’s Books About Dance
- 12 Children’s Books About Birds
- 10 Super Silly Books
- Read Around the World
- 12 Children’s Books About Africa
- 9 Books to Introduce Children to Jazz
- 10 Children’s Books About Gardening