15 Children’s Magazines From Around the World

To encourage children to read, it is valuable to surround them with a variety of reading material, including children’s magazines. Children’s magazines expose children to diverse types of writing, from fiction and nonfiction to poems and recipes. Children’s magazines make reading exciting by sporting engaging formatting, containing subject matter of particular interest to children, and arriving in the mail with children’s names on them.

If you find a children’s magazine that is the right fit for your child, it can be the ticket that turns your child into an enthusiastic reader. See for example this article by Australian triathlete Chris McCormack about how Triathlete Magazine turned McCormack onto reading.

Here is a selection of 15 fantastic children’s magazines recommended by book experts and bloggers from around the world. This list includes magazines for children who love art, crafts, nature, reading, writing, comics, puzzles, cooking and hands-on experiments.

One lucky reader will win a set of 7 issues of Action Pack magazine! See the bottom of this post for more information about Action Pack magazine, and leave a comment for an opportunity to win.

United States

National Geographic Little KidsNational Geographic Little Kids includes a nice variety of short articles about animals and countries around the world. Each issue also includes simple early-literacy, math and science activities. Ages 3+

Click — Each issue of Click focuses on a different topic, ranging from art to gardening to simple machines. Click does an excellent job of introducing new subjects to kids in a way that is clear and engaging. Ages 3+

Big BackyardBig Backyard is a fantastic magazine for animal lovers. Each issue includes seasonal content, such as articles about hibernation in the winter and migration in the fall. Ages 4+

Ask  — Like Click magazine, each issue of Ask focuses on a different arts or sciences topic. Recent issues have focused on bubbles and balloons, color, and forests. Ages 6+

Ranger Rick — Similar to Big BackyardRanger Rick features articles about animals for kids ages seven and up. My son enjoys the recurring comic about Ricky Raccoon. Ages 7+

United Kingdom

Okido – Emma of The Book Sniffer recommends Okido — “the arts and science magazine for kids.” Okido features attractive illustrations and a variety of stories and activities about a chosen theme (e.g. London, music or dirt). Ages 2+

Story Box – Melanie of Library Mice recommends Story Box. Story Box includes a nice variety of stories and nonfiction articles about animals and the world. Ages 3+

Ploc – Isil of Smiling Like Sunshine recommends Ploc, saying, “I love the vintage design of the magazine. It is packed full of short stories, fun games, cutting activities and  inspiring pictures, and it’s advertising-free.” Ploc is a brand new magazine published by the same publisher who publishes Anorak magazine for older children. Ages 3+

Adventure Box – Melanie of Library Mice recommends Adventure Box: “I love Adventure Box because it has a great mix of stories (and introduces chapters for emerging readers), comics and non-fiction. It is also gender neutral.” Ages 6+

Anorak – Emma of The Book Sniffer also recommends Anorak. Anorak is a gorgeous magazine full of a variety of stories and articles on a theme. At Anorak’s website, you can order single issues of Anorak on themes such as sports, sea explorers or friends…or order a full subscription. Ages 6+

The Phoenix – Zoe of Playing by the Book recommends The Phoenix, an excellent choice for graphic novel fans! The Phoenix features several recurring comic strips and tips to encourage kids to create their own comics. Ages 7+

Australia

BIG Kids – Emma of My Book Corner recommends BIG Kids, a magazine for young artists. According to Emma, “BIG Kids magazine is … chock a block full of ideas, crafts and artistic inspirations. Each issue features a great plethora of art from … kids. In the run up to each issue the creators of BIG Kids put their call out — artists, big and small, are encouraged to participate by sending off their responses to the chosen topic.” Ages 5+

Alphabet Soup – Susan of The Book Chook recommends Alphabet Soup, a literary magazine for kids. Susan, who contributes a writing tips column to Alphabet Soup, says, “I love that they publish children’s own writing as well as stories, poems, articles, etc.” Ages 6+

Elsewhere…

Living Crafts - Donni of The Magic Onions recommends Living Crafts Magazine, a seasonal crafts magazine. Donni notes, “It’s not exactly a kid’s mag but my 8 year old pages through each edition with awe and we often make many of the seasonal crafts together.” Ages 8+

Action Pack – Jo of Jojoebi Designs recommends Action Pack, a downloadable e-magazine full of activities, including crafts, recipes and experiments, that kids can complete with little to no adult assistance. According to Jo, the activities in Action Pack are kid-tested and clearly explained. Ages 7+

One lucky reader will win a 7 issue set of Action Pack magazine including:

:: Issue 1: Paper + Beeswax (origami projects, beeswax and honey projects)
:: Issue 2: Seeds + Beads (beaded dragonfly, cooking and growing seeds)
:: Issue 3: Sew + Tea (learn about tea, sew a tea cosy and a play tea set)
:: Issue 4: Great Outdoors (bumper issue 80 pages of outdoor crafts, adventures and cooking)
:: Issue 5: Chalk + Cheese (learn how to make your own chalk, cheese and other crafty projects using these materials)
:: Issue 6: Zap + Zest (bumper issue around the themes of electricity and citrus)
:: Issue 7: Sticks + Stones (projects using lots of natural materials)

For a chance to win, leave a comment below by Wednesday, August 8th, 11:59 EST. One entry per person. This contest is open to readers worldwide. Action Pack is an e-magazine. The winner will receive a download link to a high quality printable pdf, which can also be viewed on a Tablet or iPad.

Good luck!

This entry was posted in Ages 3+, Ages 4+, Ages 5+, Ages 6+, Ages 7+, Ages 8+ and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to 15 Children’s Magazines From Around the World

1. Rajashree Jayaseel says:

My favourite is okido ,ploc .What is your most?Pamela.

2. Swati says:

I have not read Scientrrific or Helix magazines from CSIRO (Australia), but I do subscribe to their e-newsletter and that is wonderful, so I think if I was in Australia, I’d like to definitely get them. In India, Brainwave from ACK media is a science magazine which is fun to read.

3. jen says:

Not the type that arrives in the mailbox, but I will second the recommendations for the ezines Alphabet Glue and Action Pack!

4. Katja Magus says:

We have many of the cricket magazines for various ages, right now “ask” and “spider” and also “living crafts” which has wonderful natural family activities.

5. Simone Whyte says:

What a great list, looking forward to checking out some of the names I have yet to discover!! Thanks for this wonderful opportunity!

6. mamakate says:

I love the look of these magazines, will have to hit the web for a closer look.

7. Bess says:

Great looking magazines!

8. Jodi says:

Thank you! What a fun and engaging list of magazines!

9. Maria Menounos says:

What a wonderful compilation of resources. Thank you for sharing! I can’t wait to try some of these out. I’ve already picked a few favorites :)

10. chantelle says:

Yes – please! These look wonderful for my budding reader.

11. Joy says:

I hear fantastic things about action pack and would love to try it.

12. Debra B. says:

Thanks for the fantastic list! National Geographic Kids is a favorite at our house for young and old alike :)

13. jackie G says:

Great Birthday ideas thanks!

14. I think magazines for children are wonderful. It gets them interested in various subjects, thrills them with photographs and pictures and encourages them to read. All the magazines shown here are excellent insofar as they promote all those things!

15. Idelle Mahrt says:

Thanks for such a great list Some we get and others we will start. Always looking for something new for the grandkids.

16. inchargemom says:

Looks like a lot of fun for my hands-on learner!

17. Stephanie says:

Thank you for this list! My 5yo son is on the verge of independent reading, and magazines seem to capture his interest the most.

18. This is wonderful! I would include ‘Alphabet Glue, activities and inspiration for kids who love books (and their grown-ups too) —– Love ♥ this e-magazine!!

19. Tomi says:

Great list. Thanks for putting this together, it has given me some new ideas.

20. Aubrey says:

Thank you for the post, we may have found a new magazine! My daughter was very interested in getting her hands on the phoenix magazine. I also love the idea of a magazine they can read and then do the activities with little to no help from me, that way they can do it when they want instead of having to wait on me lol.

21. AnnMarie Melendrez says:

Thanks for the recommendations. Our family loves magazines.

22. Sandra M. says:

Thanks for the list – we will definitely check some of these. My little one was so proud and happy receiving National Geographic Little Kids – but she craved for more with every issue. And we have to switch to one for a bit older kids -National Geographic Kids, even though she is under age recommended for this one.

23. Susan Pollard says:

Oh my, looks like I need to start my Christmas shopping for my grandchildren!

24. Jessica says:

What an amazing opportunity! Thank you! I have a four and eight year old who love to read and be creative and explore. I also teach preschool at my church and love it! Good luck to everyone!

25. Thank you for this resource. I was looking into something to supplement NG Little Kids my 3 and 5 year olds love but are beginning to ask for more.

You are most welcome. We love children’s magazines. It is fun to share our favorites and read about others published outside the U.S.

26. Wonderful choices for children’s magazines to read and subscribe to! We enjoy several of these too! ~heather

27. Perogyo says:

What a great list, I especially love that some of them send overseas! I second Lilia’s Canadian recommendations, especially as Owl Magazines (Chick, Chickadee, and Owl) send overseas, and for free for back issues!

28. Lilia says:

Great list! I love kids magazines. Thrift stores are a great place to pick up back issues. Here in Canada, my kids subscribe to chickadee (in the “Owl” magazine family) and Zoobooks.

29. pamela says:

AWESOME! We’ve had NG Kids and loved it. Always looking for good reading materials!

30. Mutzi says:

Thank you for all the info. about kid-friendly magazines! What a wonderful resource:)

31. caroline says:

so much better tnan the ones my kids go for in the supermarket based on what plastic tat they get

32. Donni says:

What a super reading list! My kids LOVE receiving theirs in the mail every month!
    Blessings and magic,
    Donni

33. Houudini says:

Thanks for this great list! Now I have ideas for upcomign birthdays & Christmas. We already get High-5 and will be stepping up to Highlights before too long (classics from when I was a kid!) so I know the kids would be excited to have another mag or two :-)

34. What a gorgeous and inspiring range of magazines! A great post.

35. jojoebi says:

ohhh so me new magazine for me to drool over! great round up Amy xx

36. se7en says:

Oh I love this post… What a collection… My kids love reading magazines!!! We haven’t found any awesome publications in South Africa. My kids have really enjoyed Action Pack Magazines… and they do read National Geographic for kids and heaps of ancient Cricket mags that I gathered up on a library sale. Wish we could get more mags for kids over here.

37. You know, I never even thought about the pleasure having the magazine arrive in the mail with a child’s name on would be.! Great list!

38. Zoe says:

Great round up here! I can second Library Mice’s choice of Story box – we get that as well as the Phoenix and it’s excellent