10 Children’s Books About Fall

Ahhhh…fall. My favorite season of the year is upon us. I hope that reading fall-themed books with my kids will help us fully soak in and appreciate the season. Here are ten books to get kids excited about making apple sauce, identifying autumn leaves, creating autumn leaf artwork, coming up with the coolest Halloween costume ever, saving pumpkin seeds to plant next spring, and more.

Apple Farmer Annie by Monica Wellington. All three of my kids — ages six, four, and two — cheered when I brought out this book to read this year. While my kids enjoy books, they do not generally cheer at the sight of them. Apple Farmer Annie is a straightforward, colorfully illustrated story about an apple farmer who makes a bunch of delicious things with apples and sells them at the farmers’ market. Two more good fall-themed books for young children are Apples and Pumpkins by Anne Rockwell and It’s Fall! by Linda Glaser. Ages 2+

Time to Sleep by Denise Fleming. In this fun story, Bear smells winter in the air and knows that it is time to go to sleep, but before she does she must tell Snail. One animal after another shares the news that winter is on its way. Denise Fleming’s gorgeous illustrations and a humorous ending make Time to Sleep a winner. Ages 3+

Halloween Day by Anne Rockwell and Lizzy Rockwell. A fine book to share with kids in September to get them dreaming about what they might like to dress up as for Halloween. In Halloween Day, Lizzy Rockwell’s illustrations reveal what inspired each of the narrator’s classmates’ Halloween costumes. The topic of this book — Halloween costumes + cupcakes — gives the book big kid appeal. Ages 3+

Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf by Lois Ehlert. Describes planting a maple tree and watching the maple tree change from one season to the next. Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf is an especially fantastic choice for those of you with maple trees in your yards. Consider pairing with The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger, Leaf Jumpers by Carole Gerber and Leslie Evans or Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert. Ages 3+

Giving Thanks by Jonathan London and Gregory Manchess. The father in this story teaches his son to give thanks for all of the things in nature that they encounter during a walk in the woods — for the sun and moon, frogs and crickets, a fox, and more. A lovely book to read before taking a fall hike. Ages 3+

Leaf Jumpers by Carole Gerber and Leslie Evans. A fantastic introduction to identifying leaves! Leaf Jumpers begins by describing kids playing in leaves, a good hook to capture kids’ attention, and then provides descriptions of eight common leaves. One of the highlights of Leaf Jumpers is Leslie Evan’s graphic, glowing illustrations. Ages 3+

The Seasons of Arnold’s Apple Tree by Gail Gibbons. I love this description of a boy’s relationship with his apple tree. Throughout the year, Arnold enjoys playing in his apple tree. He collects apple blossoms in the spring, builds a tree house in the summer, gathers apples in the fall, and hangs garlands of popcorn on his tree for the birds in the winter. Ages 3+

Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert. Leaf Man is best read to one or a small number of children who can take the time to pour over the pictures at their own pace. The story is not particularly exciting. Instead, the fun comes from observing how Lois Ehlert used leaves to create images of chickens, ducks and geese, pumpkins and winter squash, and much more. Leaf Man will inspire kids to create their own fall leaf artwork. Ages 3+

Applesauce Season by Eden Ross Lipson and Mordicai Gerstein. An enthusiastic description of one boy’s family tradition of making applesauce with fresh apples from the farmers’ market. Ages 3+

Pumpkin Circle by Shmuel Thaler and George Levenson. The rhymes in this book are a bit forced. Never-the-less, Pumpkin Circle offers a pretty cool lesson in a plant life cycle when read at the same time that kids are carving pumpkins and scooping out pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin Circle includes some memorable photographs, including a series of photographs of a rotting pumpkin and a pair of photographs that show that words etched in a young, green pumpkin will become part of the skin of a mature, orange pumpkin. Ages 4+

Pinterest: Fall

This entry was posted in Ages 2+, Ages 3+, Ages 4+, Ages 5+, Ages 6+, Ages 7+, Ages 8+ and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to 10 Children’s Books About Fall

1. Great list, I was in the process of adding some children’s books to the collection.

I am glad to be of use! I hope to clear up technical problems with this website soon so that it looks nice again, but all of the book recommendations are still here.

2. sunnymama says:

The Pumpkin Circle book looks really interesting, must try and get a copy! Thank you so much for sharing your autumn book selection with our Autumn Carnival. :) I’ve featured your post here: http://sunnydaytodaymama.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/all-year-round-week-thirty-five-7.html

3. Mumsphere says:

I will keep this list with me..will soon buy for my daughter…she is just 6 months now!,,,sigh!!

4. Hannah says:

Hi Amy! Thanks for sharing this great book list with us at the All Year Round Blog Carnival: Autumn! I featured you this week!

5. Nancy says:

Fun list of books! I love autumn and everything about it. Thanks for sharing.

Ring true,
    Nancy

6. Isil says:

Fantastic list of books. I cannot find Ehlert’s books in my library here in England but I have read so many good reviews about them, think I’ll buy them ;) As always, thanks for linking up to BSM.
    Isil

7. Amy says:

Absolutely, Sarah! Lois Ehlert has written several books that are good to read in the fall. I generally avoid including two books by the same author on a booklist, but I thought Ehlert deserved the nod in this instance.

8. Great list. I’ve often felt that Lois Ehlert must really love Fall – several of her titles have an autumn feel.

9. Thanks for the great list! We just checked a few of these out at the library. They have a whole section devoted to fall books, so I will look for some more of these next time we are there!

Hi, Kerry! You’re welcome. My daughter is super excited about dance this year. We’ve been reading our favorite dance books over and over. I’ll have to stop by your blog soon in search of some new book ideas.

10. Ticia says:

My kids love Apple Annie and the Halloween book.

11. Mary says:

This is a great list…..now if only it would start acting like fall here in Central Texas…..

12. Sarah says:

I was looking for autumn book ideas-thank you.

13. Thanks for the list. I’ve added a couple of titles to my lastest order.
    Tammy
    Apples with Many Seeds

14. Roberta says:

Those are definitely our favorites, particularly Pumpkin Circle. I lent my first copy to someone and it is so good, I never got it back. :-)

15. Wonderful wonderful list of books! I’ve had my first experience of autumn in November of 2009 when I visited California (and Missouri) to attend a conference. Coming from Southeast Asia where it’s either raining or sunny, seeing leaves turn golden red was quite an experience. And these picture books would sure relive that experience.

I am not sure if you’ve come across this blog that wild rose reader has just written and contributed for Poetry Friday last week – while it does not deal specifically with just autumn – it deals with the different seasons of the year. You might want to check this out as well since it might interest you.

Thanks for sharing, Myra. I have actually been looking for a few poems to include in my son’s lunch box. (He’s been requesting more notes.) A nice post.

16. This is a great list of books!

17. Amy says:

You are most welcome!

18. Kim says:

Thanks for all the great ideas.

19. Anonymous says:

It’s funny, Apple Farmer Annie is a big favorite at our house, too and has been for a couple of years. I think the simple story and bright colors make it a hit. Plus, it’s fun to see Annie travel into the Big Apple, a familiar sight to us.