10 Children’s Books About Gardening

Here are ten excellent books about gardening. This list includes some lovely stories (e.g. Two Old Potatoes and Me, Vera’s Bean Tent, The Curious Garden) and oodles of gardening inspiration.

“I bet you didn’t realize I’d enjoy planting my garden so much!”

Growing Vegetable Soup by Lois Ehlert. Describes the steps involved in growing vegetables and making vegetable soup (recipe included). This book fills a niche; it is a good book for getting very young kids excited about growing vegetables. Ages 2+

Two Old Potatoes and Me by John Coy and Carolyn Fisher. A satisfying story about a girl and dad who try growing potatoes for the first time. Two Old Potatoes and Me is nicely paced with graphic, playful illustrations. Ages 3+

Vera’s Baby Sister by Vera Rosenberry. A wonderful story about a girl, Vera, whose house is filled with noise when her baby sister arrives. Vera’s grandpa helps Vera plant a bean tent, which serves as a quiet space where Vera can go to be alone. Vera’s Baby Sister realistically describes the feelings that can accompany the arrival of a new sibling and has a sweet ending. Ages 3+

Garbage Helps Our Garden Grow: A Compost Story by Linda Glaser and Shelley Rotner. A clear introduction to composting, with photographs of kids gardening. Pair this with Compost Stew by Mary McKenna Siddals and Ashley Wolff, an upbeat rhyming book that lists everything that can be composted. Ages 4+

How Groundhog’s Garden Grew by Lynne Cherry. When Little Squirrel discovers Groundhog eating veggies from a neighbor’s garden, he decides to teach Groundhog to grow his own vegetable garden. Lynn Cherry has incorporated a ridiculous amount of information about how to garden into this story. If you are looking for one book to read to your kids before planting your own vegetable garden, this is an excellent choice. Lovely illustrations. Ages 5+

Flower Garden by Eve Bunting and Kathryn Hewitt. A rhyme about a young girl who surprises her mother by planting flowers in a flower box. A great book to share with young children and city dwellers. Ages 2+

Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert. A fantastic concept book that describes a child and mother planting a flower garden and introduces kids to flowers and colors. Zinnia’s Flower Garden by Monica Wellington is another charming story to introduce slightly older kids to flower gardening. Ages 2+

The Curious Garden by Peter Brown. A magical story about a young boy who discovers a patch of wildflowers growing on an abandoned railway. When the boy cares for the wildflowers, they begin to thrive and transform the city. Peter Brown has imagined and created a extraordinary green city that my children are delighted to visit. For another whimsical story about gardening, see My Garden by Kevin Henkes. Ages 3+

Miss Lady Bird’s Wildflowers by Kathi Appelt and Joy Fisher Hein. The winner of the coveted Broadmoore children’s choice award. Both my six-year-old son and four-year-old daughter have been asking me to read this book repeatedly. Miss Lady Bird’s Wildflowers is a biography of former first lady Lady Bird Johnson. This book describes how wildflowers comforted Lady Bird when her mother died and how Lady Bird worked to ensure that all children could experience the beauty of wildflowers. Ages 5+

Butterflies in the Garden by Carol Lerner. An introduction to butterflies and attracting butterflies to your yard. Butterflies in the Garden features Carol Lerner’s beautiful, detailed illustrations of butterflies and flowers. See also A Place for Butterflies by Melissa Stewart and Higgins Bond. Ages 5+

Pinterest: Gardening

This entry was posted in Ages 2+, Ages 3+, Ages 4+, Ages 5+, Ages 6+, Ages 7+, Ages 8+ and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to 10 Children’s Books About Gardening

1. Kathleen says:

What a great list! We love some of these, and some of them are new to me–can’t wait to check them out. Thanks!

2. sunnymama says:

Wonderful list! It would be great if you’d like to add this post to our Sping Carnival too. :)

3. mrcraycroft says:

I love this list! We also love Inch by Inch, Carrot Soup and Grandma Lena’s Big Ol’ Turnip. Not all super focused on gardening but my child gets the point! Love it!

4. Lynn says:

Great list! Thank you. I was looking for books to use with my son to learn more about gardening.

5. mina says:

thank you for this post I found you through Chris Singer of Book Dads, this is great.
    Mina Javaherbin

Thanks for leaving a comment, Mina! Goal! is a great book. I have not read The Secret Message but will have to seek it out. I love the description of it.

6. Stacy of KSW says:

Great list! Planting a rainbow is a favorite of ours too, we’ll keep an eye out at the library this week for the others

7. We love How Groundhog’s Garden Grew! I’ll have to see if our library has some of these others.

How Groundhog’s Garden Grew is neat! Manages to take a lot of information about gardening and package it into a story that makes it appealing to kids. You would have a gardening expert on your hands if you read a child How Groundhog’s Garden Grew + Garbage Helps Our Garden Grow + Butterflies in the Garden.

8. Angie says:

This is a great list! I love Lois Elhert books especially. I must check out the other books as well. I love growing flowers and am branching out to vegetables this year. This may inspire the children and me. Thank you for sharing!

I rarely include two books by the same author on a single booklist, but I thought Ehlert had earned the two-book nod with the books she’s written about gardening. My kids and I do like Monica Wellington’s books too. Wellington similarly writes in a pretty straightforward, descriptive style and has bold, colorful illustrations.

9. Liz says:

I always look forward to your book lists, and this one is great! We are going to plant potatoes next season so I think we’ll have to get “Two Old Potatoes and Me” for sure! Thanks.

10. Sarah says:

A great list of books. We had John Coy visit our school this year and he had a fun way of reading Two Old Potatoes and Me. That book has really grown on me: it’s poignant.

Awesome! I wish I could hear John Coy read Two Old Potatoes and Me! It is a book that has grown on me too. It has crazy font, which I had to get past before I could enjoy reading this outloud to my kids.

11. Thanks for this great list! I’m adding several of these to my library holds now.