10 Children’s Books About Friendship

Take a look at this updated list: 25 Children’s Books About Friendship!

This booklist includes some of my favorite stories ever! In addition to entertaining, these stories offer children guidance about how to be good friends.

The Best Friends Book by Todd Parr. With humor and colorful illustrations, The Best Friends Book describes best friends as friends who accept you as you are, forgive you, share, visit you when you are sick, make you laugh etc. Ages 3+

George and Martha: The Complete Stories of Two Best Friends by James Marshall. First and foremost, this is a collection of truly entertaining little stories about two best friends, George and Martha. As with real best friends, George and Martha’s interactions are not always perfect (e.g. Martha paints over one of George’s paintings). I like how these stories depict the two friends looking out for each other, learning to balance telling the truth with being considerate of others’ feelings, and arguing and making up. Ages 3+

Toot and Puddle: You Are my Sunshine by Holly Hobbie. One of a series of books about two adorable pigs, Toot (the adventurer) and Puddle (the homebody), who are best friends. In all Toot and Puddle books, the two friends are affectionate, picking out thoughtful gifts, writing postcards to eachother, and looking out for each other. In Toot and Puddle: You are my Sunshine, Puddle goes to great lengths to try to cheer up his friend Toot. Ages 3+

Crazy Hair Day by Barney Saltzberg. I love this story!¬†Your child will feel for the main character in this story, who mistakenly dresses up for crazy hair day when it is picture day, and appreciate his classmates’ super, compassionate response. Ages 3+

Hunter’s Best Friend at School by Laura Elliott. This story describes a scenario commonly encountered by preschoolers and kindergarteners: the best friend getting in trouble at school. In this story, Hunter’s best friend Stripe is acting too silly at school. Hunter follows along, until Hunter’s mom suggests a better solution. Ages 4+

Chester’s Way by Kevin Henkes. A super entertaining story, with brilliant illustrations and humorous characters. When Lilly moves into the neighborhood, Chester and Wilson are initially suspicious of Lilly’s eccentric ways. After Chester and Wilson get past their initial distrust, they discover that they have things in common with Lilly, have fun introducing eachother to new things, and ultimately end up being great friends. Ages 4+

Horace and Morris but Mostly Dolores by James Howe. An entertaining story about three spunky mouse friends who mistakenly succumb to the lure of the Mega-Mice (No girls aloud!) clubhouse and The Cheese Puffs (No boys allowed!) clubhouse. In the end, Dolores speaks up and starts an all-inclusive club devoted to activites that Horace, Morris, and Dolores enjoy. Ages 4+

Enemy Pie by Derek Munson. My five-year-old son loves this comical story, with instructions for turning a best enemy into a best friend. Ages 4+

How to be a Friend: A Guide to Making Friends and Keeping Them by Laurene Brown. Has explicit instructions about how to be a good friend that would likely sound too preachy to an older kid. However, for the four to five-year-old kid in the throws of making friends for the first time, this book has valuable suggestions for joining others who are playing, handling bosses and bullies, and settling arguments. My 3 1/2 and 5-year-olds were both engrossed in this book. Ages 4+

Feelings by Aliki. There are several good books about feelings. This book stands out because it is useful for helping kids understand feelings associated with common kid-to-kid interactions (e.g. how sharing or not sharing makes both the sharer and recipient feel). This book has lots of little vignettes depicted in cartoon format. Ages 5+

This entry was posted in Ages 3+, Ages 4+, Ages 5+, Ages 6+, Ages 7+, Ages 8+ and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to 10 Children’s Books About Friendship

1. Leigh says:

I am looking for a book to read my preschool class where several friends are a little “too close” and one friend may feel suffocated. Any suggestions?

2. Pingback: 5 Tips for Encouraging Your Child to Read This Summer (It’s not too late!) | Delightful Children's Books

3. beth says:

Are there any book recommendations for a 9 year old who is a high level reader, who needs a book about forgiving a friend who has betrayed his trust?

4. Anonymous says:

Best Friends for Frances by Lilian Hoban and Yoko and Friends series by Rosemary Wells are fantastic too!

5. Anonymous says:

Amos and Boris by William Steig and Poppleton Books by Cynthia Rylant are wonderful books too. My daughter loved George and Martha and knew them all by heart.

6. mrjakescott says:

Arnold Lobel’s Frog and Toad books are my favorite books about friendship. Also Mo Willem’s Gerald and Piggy series is outstanding, particularly “My Friend is Sad.”

I cannot believe that I did not include the Frog and Toad books or Elephant and Piggy books on this list initially! Two excellent recommendation! This booklist is the booklist I most want to update. I would still recommend the 10 books listed here, but I have several others I’d like to add. I think you may have identified the 2 most glaring omissions.

7. Jude P. says:

Good list! I hadn’t heard of most of these books. I have been buying books from this best books for toddlers list and both myself and my little boy are loving them. I will get some of your suggestions as soon as I finish this batch. Thanks Amy :)

8. Pingback: Sue Atkins

9. cheeriosandlattes1 says:

This is a great list. Thank you for sharing this on Saturday Show and Tell. I hope you’ll be back this week.
    -Mackenzie

10. What a great list! We love the George and Martha books.

11. Erinn L says:

Some of these are new to me and I can’t wait to check them out! Have you read or heard of “How Full is your Bucket: for Kids?” The concept is a little harder to grasp, but we’ve read it over and over and it really helps in so many situations. I have to check out “Enemy Pie” this week!

12. Amy says:

I really like Leo Lionni books too. I’ll have to read A Color of His Own again.

13. Tiffany JB says:

Leo Lionni has two great books about friendship. The first is Little Blue and Little Yellow, which is a story told abstractly about two friends, a blue dot and a yellow dot, who hug and hug and become green. This story can be read on multiple levels, but is essentially about friendship and identity. Another one I really love from Leonni is A Color of His Own, which is about how friendship helps us to deal with uncertainty and change.